But what are they, and how do they affect your ownership of your new home?
What Are CC&Rs?
CC&Rs are covenants, conditions, and restrictions, and all condominium associations have them. So do neighborhoods with homeowner’s associations.
They’re rules and regulations that list what is (and isn’t) acceptable in a neighborhood, and they outline homeowners’ responsibilities. They’re designed to preserve and protect the value of the homes in the area, and they typically cover things like:
- Pets, such as what breeds, what sizes, and even whether you may have them
- Building restrictions
- Rules about using properties for non-residential purposes
- Paint colors, fence styles, and cosmetic requirements
- Yard maintenance rules
Your CC&Rs may include a significant number of rules and regulations. Remember, they’re supposed to protect and preserve the value of the homes in the community and to outline the conduct they expect from you when you live in the community. (They’re good in the sense that they probably won’t allow your neighbor to paint his house fuchsia, but if you’re the one who wants the fuchsia house, you probably won’t be too happy when you read the CC&Rs that tell you that’s not allowed.)
Can You Read the CC&Rs Before You Make an Offer on a Home?
You can absolutely read a community’s CC&Rs before you make an offer on a home. Ask your Grand Junction Realtor® to help you secure a copy so you know what you’re getting into before you make an offer. But remember, in Colorado one of the standard contingencies in the contract to buy is review of the CIC (Common Interest Community) documents, and in a hot market it probably is best to wait until after you are under contract before looking at those CC&R’s. If you really want that house, you had better not delay!
Are You Buying a Home in Grand Junction or the Surrounding Communities?
Call us at 970-765-4135 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your dream home. We’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, check out our:
- Grand Junction homes for sale under $100k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $100k and $200k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Grand Junction homes for sale over $1 million