If you’re like many people in Grand Junction, you need a place to stash your stuff—whether you’re moving, you’ve just moved, or you’ve lived in your home for quite some time.
For most people, that means renting a storage unit.
But how can you make it easier on yourself when you need to pull out holiday decorations, add more “stuff,” or want to keep everything organized (and damage-free)?
How to Organize Your Storage Unit
Good organization in a storage unit starts with packing properly. If you’re packing things for storage:
- Separate everything by category, and keep like items together. Kids’ stuff belongs with kids’ stuff, holiday décor stays together, and sentimental items need to be in the same boxes.
- Keep a serious inventory of what you’re putting into storage. Later, you’ll mark each item’s location on your inventory sheet for ease-of-access. (This is also important if something happens to your storage unit and you need to make an insurance claim.)
- Everything needs to be clean and completely dry before you pack it.
- Heavy items at the bottom, light (or fragile) items at the top. Heavy items go in smaller boxes, too.
- Seal everything tightly, and if you can, use plastic containers rather than cardboard boxes.
- Label EVERYTHING. Include notes such as “Fragile” or “This Side Up.”
Once everything is properly packed, you can ensure that your unit is organized by:
- Installing shelves in your storage unit.
- Putting big items close to the walls and small items near the front, giving yourself a clear view of everything that’s inside.
- Keep distance between your stuff and the walls of the storage unit to promote air circulation and a little “wiggle room” for when you need to retrieve things.
- Keep things you need frequent access to near the front of the storage unit.
Are You Buying a Home in Grand Junction?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Grand Junction, Fruita or any of the surrounding communities, we’d love to help you.
Call us at 970-765-4135 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your next house. We’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, feel free to browse our:
- Grand Junction real estate listings
- Fruita real estate listings
- Palisade real estate listings
- Redlands real estate listings
- Clifton real estate listings
- Glade Park real estate listings
- Loma real estate listings
- Whitewater real estate listings