Don’t take it personally! We tell everyone to declutter before they sell; it’s not that your house is cluttered (it probably isn’t!), but potential buyers need to see it as decidedly uncluttered. Besides, you’ll be giving yourself a head start on packing.
So where do you start?
How to Declutter Your House Before You Sell
Pick a room—any room.
What’s in the room that you haven’t used in the last year?
Chances are pretty good that there are plenty of things tucked away in kitchen cupboards, closets, and other storage spaces that haven’t seen sunlight in more than a year.
If that’s the case, it’s time for that item to go. You can sell it, donate it, or throw it away, but it can’t stay when you’re putting your house on the market.
During the decluttering process, you’ll also need to:
- Box up your books
- Pack your knick-knacks
- Put the things that you use every day into a box you can stash away if necessary (like when buyers show up for a tour)
- Clear off your kitchen counters
- Pack all non-essential dishes, glasses, and coffee mugs
Thin out what’s in your cupboards, cabinets, and closets while you’re at it. Buyers will be opening doors and peeking inside, and the fewer items that are in each, the larger each compartment will look.
Are You Selling a Home in Grand Junction?
If you’re selling your home in Grand Junction, we’d love to help get it in front of all the right buyers.
Call us at 970-765-4135. In the meantime, you can:
- Get a free market snapshot
- Find out how much your home is worth… for FREE
- Discover how we’ll market your house