If you’re like many people, you find historic homes more charming—and in some cases, far more desirable—than cookie-cutter developments.
But owning a piece of history, even if it’s an incredible deal, comes with a different set of responsibilities than owning a new home does.
Historic Homes vs. Old Homes
A building can be old and not historic—and there’s a big difference. Typically, homes are designated as “historic” by a local historic board or the National Register of Historic Places not only because of their age, but because they were involved in historic events or hold some type of architectural significance.
Sure, it’s easy to fall in love with the way an old home looks. It’s also easy to imagine what it would be like to live in one… but as you’re visiting, those things can distract you from very real issues that the home has, such as water damage, structural issues, or sagging foundations.
Buying an Older Home
Whether the home you want to purchase is just “old” or it’s actually historic, a home inspection is absolutely essential. Original wiring, old pipes, or even serious structural problems could make the home unlivable—or incredibly expensive to fix.
Other things to consider:
- Utility bills can be exceptionally high in an older home.
- You may be under serious restrictions as far as what you can do to fix issues the home has (both issues you discover before and after buying the property).
- Buying a historic home comes with different rights than purchasing a newer home does, particularly when it comes to making changes; even minor renovations could be a problem.
Are You Buying a Home in Grand Junction?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Grand Junction, Fruita or any of the surrounding communities, we’d love to help you.
Call us at 970-765-4135 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your next house. We’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, feel free to browse our:
- Grand Junction real estate listings
- Fruita real estate listings
- Palisade real estate listings
- Redlands real estate listings
- Clifton real estate listings
- Glade Park real estate listings
- Loma real estate listings
- Whitewater real estate listings