Homes that need a little TLC—“fixer-uppers,” if you will—often sit on the market longer than those that are in prime move-in condition.
Many people don’t want to deal with the work involved, and others see homes that need some attention (even if it’s minor) as less valuable than their newer, spiffier counterparts.
But some smart buyers are zeroing in on fixer-uppers… and they’re snapping them up as they become available because they recognize a good investment when they see one.
Benefits of Buying a Fixer-Upper
You don’t have to buy a dilapidated shack to get a great deal on a home that needs a bit of work. In fact, you can find homes that need minimal work (some of it mostly cosmetic, even) at remarkably affordable prices if you’re looking in the right places.
Tips for Owning a Fixer-Upper
If you end up buying a home that needs work, there are a couple of ways you can make it worth your while. First, make sure that any repairs you do make are done by the right professionals (that means licensed, experienced, and qualified).
You should also live in the home before you make any major changes, because:
- The homebuying process itself is very stressful. Maybe you looked for weeks (or months), and you almost certainly had to juggle financing and your home search. For most people, this is an exhausting experience (physically, mentally, and financially).
- You need time to make the right plans. Once you’ve lived in a home, your original vision for it will most likely change; your day-to-day experiences will shape the decisions you make. Besides, you need time to hire qualified contractors, get input from experts, and come up with the cash you need to make improvements.
Are You Buying a Home in Grand Junction?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Grand Junction, Fruita or any of the surrounding communities, we’d love to help you.
Call us at 970-765-4135 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your next house. We’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, feel free to browse our:
- Grand Junction real estate listings
- Fruita real estate listings
- Palisade real estate listings
- Redlands real estate listings
- Clifton real estate listings
- Glade Park real estate listings
- Loma real estate listings
- Whitewater real estate listings