Landscaping is a big deal – and these six drought-tolerant plants can make an ordinary yard into an extraordinary one.
6 Drought-Tolerant Plants for Home Landscaping in Grand Junction
Cape Blanco Stonecrop
This low-growing, tiny succulent is a great groundcover. In the spring, it produces silvery-blue leaves in the shape of small rosettes on trailing stems. During the remainder of the year, its leaves turn grayish-green. From mid-to-late summer, the plant is adorned with gold, star-shaped flowers at the ends of its stems.
Angelina’s chartreuse, needle-like shrubbery is a bright groundcover that’s ideal for dry slopes and flowering borders. During the winter, its foliage turns orange in northern climates, and evergreen in mild temperatures.
Blue Oat Grass
This Mediterranean grass grows in dramatic sprays of thin, blue-grey blades that can reach 2’ to 3’ tall and wide. In the spring, golden flowers sprout about 2’ above the foliage.
The silvery foliage of this commonly-known shrub can grow 3’ wide and about half as tall. Thin stems are topped with elegant, feather-like blooms of violet, lilac or blue. Lavender is great for dry, arid climates. It can also be used as a natural antiseptic for insect bites and cuts.
This grassy evergreen is in the Iris family. Its orange-colored blades form in a slowly creeping clump that can reach 2’ tall. During spring and summer, clusters of small, white flowers appear among its leaves.
Hens and Chicks
This is a cold-hardy, drought-tolerant succulent that comes in an assortment of textures: some are satiny, others are velvety or wooly. Its shapes are just as varied. Some are fringed, while others may be tufted, or spidery. Most produce clumps that form unique mounds.
Are You Buying a Home in Grand Junction?
Call us at 970-765-4135 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your dream home. We’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, check out our:
- Grand Junction homes for sale under $100k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $100k and $200k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Grand Junction homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Grand Junction homes for sale over $1 million