We’ve all had a yard sale at some point—and with summer nearly here, it may be time for you to organize another one.
Summer is the perfect time to get rid of everything you found during spring cleaning, and for items you’ve chosen not to donate to charity, a yard sale is the best way to tackle your overflow.
So how can you hold a yard sale that not only brings prospective customers to your door, but gets them to buy (and haul away) all the stuff you don’t want?
5 Tips to Hold a Great Yard Sale
Statistics have shown that three things bring people to a yard sale:
- Great signs (and plenty of them)
- Personalized presentation
- A good inventory with interesting items
Author and garage sale pro Ava Seavey says that it takes more than that to create a great yard sale, though, and that if you’re selling your belongings, you should try to get as much as you can for them.
Seavey’s top tips for a successful (and lucrative) yard sale include:
- Put a hundred—or more—items for sale. This may mean that you’ll have to team up with neighbors (who has a hundred things they don’t want?), because people will keep driving if they only see a few things in your yard.
- Create visual appeal. More expensive items need a better display, so use tablecloths to highlight them (and put them on a table, not on the ground).
- Put price tags on every item. That way, shoppers don’t have to ask you for the price on everything, and they’re free to browse based how much they’re willing to spend.
- Provide shoppers with bags or boxes for their purchases. It’s a nice touch—and it clears out even more space in your home.
- Pick the right date. Statistics show that the best day of the week for a yard sale is Friday, but you can hold it on a Friday and a Saturday if you want to appeal to the widest range of buyers. Try not to have a yard sale on a holiday or a holiday weekend, though, because your target market may be otherwise engaged.
Are You Selling Your Home in Grand Junction?
If you’re holding a yard sale because you’re putting your home on the market, we’d love to help you (not with the yard sale, but with selling your home… although we may swing by to see how it’s going!).
Call us at 970-765-4135 or contact us online. We’ll be happy to give you a free comparative market analysis so you know exactly how much your home is worth, and we’ll give you our best advice based on our knowledge of the local market and your situation.